After a multi-project collaboration with Discount Tire to re-platform its website and point-of-service (POS) system, among many other projects, Discount Tire tasked Avatria with modernizing their SAP Commerce instance to take advantage of new capabilities that had been introduced since 5.5. With numerous projects and business critical initiatives ongoing, it was impossible to stop all work in order to focus solely on an upgrade. However, the upgrade had to be done so that Discount Tire could leverage enhanced capabilities within SOLR, the newly released promotion engine, and various other key improvements.
The Avatria team recommended a parallel process in which the upgrade work would occur in tandem with new development, allowing other initiatives to be completed on schedule.
- Focused on making the existing code base compile and deploy with the latest version
- Migrated or refactored features one by one to take advantage of newer implementation approaches
- Code freeze when all code compiles and all features are migrated
- Short regression cycle was executed
- Moderrnized code base was deployed
Avatria played a critical role in helping Discount Tire strategize the best sequencing and timing to incur minimal disruption to other projects. We were able to reduce the amount of refactoring required and enable faster deployment of the upgrade and all new tracks of work by coordinating with Discount Tire leadership to identify which projects were appropriate to begin prior to the upgrade and which would benefit from waiting for the modernized code base.