eCommerce Senior Developer
Come join Avatria’s Digital Services team and help build a professional services organization that puts people first.
At Avatria, our consultants are the heart of our company. We empower our team to make every decision with integrity, and to always act in our customers’ best interests. We structure our engagements with realistic goals, reasonable travel expectations, and a core respect for work-life balance.
What You’ll Do
As an eCommerce Senior Developer, you’ll join a team of dedicated, experienced professionals to work on software development projects for our enterprise customers. You’ll get wide exposure to the business processes and technologies that support modern eCommerce systems, and the opportunity to work closely with the founders of our organization. If you’re new to eCommerce, your learning will be significantly accelerated, and if you’ve been in our industry for a while, your skills and ideas will be appreciated.
At Avatria, you’ll focus on:
- Technical direction & solution definition. Our customers will rely on your knowledge and eCommerce expertise to help them solve their technical challenges. You’ll learn new technology stacks, shape the final technical direction for the project, and work closely with other members of the development team to deliver a high quality product based on the plan you helped create. Each developer on our team plays a critical role in ensuring the success of our customer’s initiatives, and you will see the importance of your work.
- Integrated team collaboration. Each Senior Developer is responsible for the technical execution of a certain area of an application, and you’ll work closely with business analysts, visual designers, quality assurance team members, and other developers to accomplish your goals. You’ll also help teach your colleagues in our customers’ organizations about the project we’re working on, and help build their capacity to maintain and expand what we create for them over the long term.
Where You’ll Work
Avatria is based in the Willis Tower in Chicago, and we’d love for you to join us here. When you’re not traveling, your hours will be flexible and you’ll be free to work from home (or anywhere else you want).
This is a consulting role, and you should be prepared to travel 50%+ of the time. However, we have all spent a long time living on the road — our priority is helping you work effectively, and we plan our engagements to remove travel that won’t materially increase the project’s success.
We would prefer that you use Chicago as a home base because of the cost and complexity of having services team members based in other cities. However, remote work could be a possibility, and you can explain what you have in mind on your application.
Diversity at Avatria
Avatria is an equal employment opportunity employer. We don’t discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender or gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, age, disability, national origin, citizenship, or any other protected characteristic.
Our expertise at Avatria is built on the combined strength of our unique individual backgrounds. We believe that the greater the variety of lived experiences on our team, the stronger our company will be, and the better we will be able to serve our customers. We encourage people from groups traditionally underrepresented in professional services and the software industry to apply.
You’ll be a good fit for this role if you have experience with:
- Building and integrating customized enterprise systems. Large software projects present unique challenges, and as a senior member of our team, you’ll best be able to define and develop technical solutions for our customers if you’ve worked on at least one large enterprise software project before.
- Full-stack Java web development. Your colleagues will look to you for both a high-level understanding of how all the component parts of a large Java web applications fit together, and your practical hands-on experience working across the stack. To do well, you should already be generally proficient in:
- Working with the frameworks and tools used to build large-scale Java web apps, such as Spring/JEE, Hibernate/JPA, and JAX-RS/WS;
- Writing HTML and CSS to modern standards;
- Computer science & technical problem solving. Many of our projects push up against the boundaries of what standard tools and libraries can do. You’ll use your knowledge of programming concepts and paradigms, data structures, design patterns, networking, and computer architecture to help your team navigate new and unknown technical problems, and enable our customers to operate at the scale they need to in order to succeed.
We’d also like to see (but don’t require) experience with:
- At least one enterprise eCommerce platform, like SAP Hybris or Oracle Commerce (ATG);
- Search technologies like Solr, Elasticsearch, and Endeca;
- Single Page Application frameworks like Angular 1 and 2, React, or Backbone.
Avatria is a Chicago-based, independent digital commerce firm founded in 2014 by a team of industry veterans. We provide high quality, innovative solutions for our B2C and B2B customers informed by our extensive experience with sophisticated enterprise eCommerce projects. We specialize in developing modern digital commerce strategies, building new systems on leading platforms, and helping our customers evolve their existing processes and technology to support their long-term business goals. We are committed to an honest and friendly approach to business that puts people first, and does right by our customers and our team every time.