eCommerce Application Architect
Come join Avatria’s Digital Services team and help build a professional services organization that puts people first.
At Avatria, our consultants are the heart of our company. We empower our team to make every decision with integrity, and to always act in our customers’ best interests. We structure our engagements with realistic goals, reasonable travel expectations, and a core respect for work-life balance.
What You’ll Do
As an eCommerce Application Architect, you’ll provide honest, high quality consulting services to our enterprise customers. You’ll focus on:
- Project leadership. Our technical staff are integral to every step of our sales and delivery process, and leadership for every project is shared between an Application Architect, a Functional Lead, and a Project Manager. You’ll collaborate with our customers to define achievable goals that further their long-term initiatives. As work begins, you’ll lead experienced technical consultants to deliver on the plan you created, and continue to work closely with your team to ensure that what we’re building still meets our customer’s needs.
- Software development practice. Your projects might require big changes in how our customers build software. You’ll empower our customers’ technical staff by helping design and implement new development processes, and advocating for the tools that will help your project succeed. We believe in leaving each team better than we found it: the changes you make will live on after our engagement ends, and be valuable to our customers for many years to come.
- eCommerce for the Enterprise. Our customers are large companies with technical complexity that reflects the size of their organizations. You’ll assess our customers’ systems, and make decisions on architectural direction, integration approach, and performance optimization for current and future needs. Your plans will be informed by your specialist knowledge of eCommerce platforms, but your decisions will be focused on securing the best long-term outcomes for our customers.
Where You’ll Work
Avatria is based in the Willis Tower in Chicago, and we’d love for you to join us here. When you’re not traveling, your hours will be flexible and you’ll be free to work from home (or anywhere else you want).
This is a consulting role, and you should be prepared to travel 50%+ of the time. However, we have all spent a long time living on the road — our priority is helping you work effectively, and we plan our engagements to remove travel that won’t materially increase the project’s success.
We would prefer that you use Chicago as a home base because of the cost and complexity of having services team members based in other cities. However, remote work could be a possibility, and you can explain what you have in mind on your application.
Avatria is an equal employment opportunity employer. We don’t discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender or gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, age, disability, national origin, citizenship, or any other protected characteristic.
However, our expertise at Avatria is built on the combined strength of our unique individual backgrounds. We believe that the greater the variety of lived experiences on our team, the stronger our company will be, and the better we will be able to serve our customers. We encourage people from groups traditionally underrepresented in professional services and the software industry to apply.
You’ll be a good fit for this role if you have experience with:
- Architecting and implementing large eCommerce projects. This role is largely self-directed. We’ve found that people who have worked on two or more large B2C and/or B2B eCommerce projects can more easily recognize and avoid the common – and not so common – issues in engagements like the ones we work on.
- At least one enterprise eCommerce platform.You’ll use your advanced experience with SAP Hybris or Oracle Commerce (ATG) in all stages of your work, from vendor selection to delivery.
- Java web development. You should be comfortable reading, writing, and doing code review on Java code, and be familiar with common frameworks and tools used to build large-scale web apps, such as Spring/JEE, Hibernate/JPA, and JAX-RS/WS.
- Leading software development. This senior role will often entail development team leadership and coordination with other teams. You should have one or more full life cycle implementations for large software projects under your belt when you apply. Your experience with different management strategies will help make work more efficient, interesting, and enjoyable for everyone.
- Integrating eCommerce platforms. Each of your projects will involve integrations with ERP and order management systems, search technologies, content management systems, and more. You’ll apply and refine your integration approach as new projects expose you to new technologies and platforms.
We’d also like to see (but don’t require) experience with:
- Site search technology platforms, like Endeca, Solr, or Elasticsearch
- Web content management systems, like Adobe Experience Manager
- Cloud and on-premises infrastructure, and standing up environments
- Performance testing and tuning
Avatria is a Chicago-based, independent digital commerce firm founded in 2014 by a team of industry veterans. We provide high quality, innovative solutions for our B2C and B2B customers informed by our extensive experience with sophisticated enterprise eCommerce projects. We specialize in developing modern digital commerce strategies, building new systems on leading platforms, and helping our customers evolve their existing processes and technology to support their long-term business goals. We are committed to an honest and friendly approach to business that puts people first, and does right by our customers and our team every time.